CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Help!

The US tax system breaks my brain.

I worked in Florida for a year, came back to the UK in September and now I want to get my taxes back. I was working for Walt Disney World, on a Q1 (Cultural Representative) visa that is designed speically for the program I was on. I got sent my W-2 form today because I was in a tipped position and it said I had 1824.90 federal tax withheld (all of which I should be eligable to get back).

What now?

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH IT! I think the form I need to fill out is 1040NR-EZ, aside from that I know nothing. I was going to file online but all the places ask for a US address which I don't have. I don't know how to get the form and tax places here are obviously UK tax places so won't know what to do. I don't know how to get the form , how to fill it in or where to send it even if I do fill it in.

It's got me (quite literally, as I suffer from trichotillomania) tearing my hair out!

11 comments:

amy said...

Here is the link to the 1040NR-EZ form...
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nre.pdf

And the instructions...
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nre.pdf

On the link to the form, you can fill it out right in that link and then print it. On page 2 of the instructions it lists where to send your form. It will take longer to process if you snail mail it, but I don't know how you would go about filing online if you're overseas.

amy said...

Ooo. Do you have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number already? If not, you need to apply for one. To do that, you need to fill out this form...
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

You'll need to send this form, your tax form, and a copy of your W-2 and your passport to the address on page 3 of the instructions for this form, not the address listed on the 1040NR-EZ. They'll issue you an ITIN, then process your tax form.

You an get help here if you need to...
http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/article/0,,id=101292,00.html
They can answer questions and they can assist with preparation of returns.

amy said...

Oh. Linkie no workie for the contacts. Try this one...

http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/article/0,,id=101292,00.html

amy said...

Ok. It keeps cutting off that link (at least on my screen) and it's pissing me off.
The end of it is supposed to be...

101292,00.html

Zanitta said...

I have an employee ID number Amy, does that count?

amy said...

Nope. The employee ID number is used by companies to track their employees for their own bookkeeping purposes. The IRS uses 9 digit Social Security Numbers (SSNs) that everyone gets shortly after birth, or since you aren't a citizen, they use the ITIN. Companies shouldn't be using SSNs or ITINs for employee ID number purposes since they're supposed to be confidential. You should call that tax help number in the London embassy. I'm sure they know a whole lot more.

Weightloss115 said...

also look at tubrotax.com

amy said...

TurboTax won't help you because you only need to fill out 2 forms and neither of them is included in any of the TurboTax versions.

Zanitta said...

I have a social security number, we got one from the government when we started work

amy said...

Oh good. Then you only need to fill out that one form. It really is pretty straightforward if you follw the instructions. Much simpler than the bajillion forms I have to fill out. The deadline is April 16th this year.

amy said...

I do have yahoo messsenger, but I won't be able to be on for another 24 hours. I have an all-day meeting in 30 minutes. Then after work my son and I are going to the local ski hill to take a learn to snowboard class!