CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Roast Dinners

Both a beloved friend and an arch nemesis.

My Aunty Blossom comes with her husband nearly every weekend, and she always cooks a gorgeous roast dinner for us. I should say that the Sunday roast (though it got switched to Saturday this week) is a huge tradition here in the UK. One of our more intelligent traditions I feel. Today was roast pork, with roast potatoes, stuffing, roasted onions, green beans, peas, and gravy. I cut down where I could; I didn't eat any crackling, and had less roast potatoes. I also didn't eat anything before and just had a bowl of cereal when I came in from work after, so even though it was a lot of calories to blow on one meal I think I did okay.

I had originally planned to refuse and do my own dinner, but I couldn't quite turn it down. There's something about a proper roast, the smell of it cooking all day, that just screams 'home'. It takes me back to being little and all of us sitting round the table. Smells do that a lot for me, just throw me back to a time or place. That pumpkin/cinnamon mix for example, it smells like America. That doesn't make a lot of sense to most people but I just connect the two in my head. When I went to visit my sister in Texas she had an air freshener in living room with the scent, and when I walked in the first time and said that she laughed because she had said exactly the same thing to her roommates when they bought it and they thought she was weird. I think it goes back to the first time she and I went to the US and that scent you get when you walk into the supermarket, it just stuck with us. Pumpkin isn't used much in baking here, and while cinnamon is common it's not nearly so popular (You guys have it in everything!).

2 comments:

S C, aka Tubby said...

Reading this made my mouth water. Roast dinners could bring even the strongest woman to her knees. And it's a nice treat, when you've worked hard all week.

Zanitta said...

Yeah it is, the thing was I was trying to be extra careful this week as my end of month weigh in is coming up and I haven't shifted all that much this month, but it doesn't seem to have done any lasting damage, so all's well that ends well.