CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 30, 2007

A Craving

I quite fancy fish and chips at the moment. Anyone outside of the UK who has never had the pleasure of stepping into a chippy and breathing in the smell of a fresh, piping hot serving of proper battered cod and chips, I both envy and pity you.



I pity you because you don't know what you're missing and no place trying to give you the same experience in another country ever quite matches it. I envy you because you don't know what your missing, and therefore don't care.

Not to sound obsessive, but fish and chips is pretty much a British institution. As a meal it's full of grease (being entirely deep fried) and has practically no redeeming features. There are times during a very healthy stint when the thought of consuming it will make me feel somewhat nauseated.

But alas, the love has been bred deep into my cultural DNA, and no matter how healthy I get, how much weight I lose, or how bad I know the sweet, sweet grease is for me, it won't change.

I am delaying the fulfilment of this particular pleasure until after my weigh in tomorrow. It's possible that the craving will be gone by then, but if it's still there then I'm off up the chippy to enjoy every mouthful.

4 comments:

Megan said...

I've never had the authentic British kind of fish and chips, just the American substitute. Still, I love it just the same. Love that greasy goodness!

Zanitta said...

I used to work at the UK pavilion in EPCOT, at disney world florida, and they used to do a version of fish and chips. It's good, but different. If you like the US versions just wait until you try the authentic ones.

Miss Tiffie said...

I've only had fish & chips in Australia and they just lightly pan fry the fish, it's so much lighter and tastier... and chips.. oh man.. you just need some nice thick fresh homemade wedges dipped in sweet chilli sauce and sour cream, MAKES ME HAPPY!!

Lorrie (Token Fat Girl) said...

that looks delishious. im sure much better than my beloved captain d's fried-only meals. sigh.