CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Zan, this is Cake calling

The Wheel of Death struck again at work today. (The WOD is a turnstile vending machine in our canteen).

Exactly on eye level in the WOD there is the dessert section. I'm a big dessert lover and usually there is a proper, traditional British pudding with custard there. And you all know how I like me some custard.

It called to me. It wooed me with sweet words and the magically mysterious 'cake of the day' label. What cake lay under the pale yellow custardy disguise? who knows! It looked like bread and butter pudding at first glance so it had raisins in it, and one of those sparkly, crunchy, sugar tops.

And oh, how I coveted it's cakey goodness. Even though I knew it was bad for me. Even though I knew it would trigger a binge in the chocolate machine next to it. Even though I had been fooled by it's promises before, only to end up with something banana flavoured and of dubious texture. I wanted it. I looked through the tiny, tempting window of glass, touching the barrier lightly with my fingertips. I checked my purse to ensure that yes, I did have the 62p that stood between me and my prize. In exact change. I looked, and thought, and counted, and drooled, and hmmm'd, and...

Got the fruit plate.

And even sacrificed my penny change because the machine never has any. I feel somewhat virtuous.

I also feel that the battle may rage on again soon, and that next time the WOD may play dirty by filling itself with bakewell tart and custard.

And then, my friends, I am In Trouble.

12 comments:

Cat said...

I know this well. Good luck!! - Cat

Christine said...

HEhehe, loved your blog today, it was like I was reading my own thoughts!!

Lauren said...

that is so awesome. And BTW, you are a great writer.

Zanitta said...

awww... thank you everyone :)

Alicia said...

Oh that was a dangerous situation. Good job on the good choices!

TĂȘtue said...

My work took away our vending machines and replaced them with fruit and nuts and granola bars and crap. Now we just keep a stockpile of soda and candy at our desks. Talk about self-defeating...

Yay for choosing the fruit plate!

jeannie* said...

YAY! That is fantastic.

And well written as well... you practically had ME drooling just reading about it. heehee

Sarah said...

Wheel of Death..turn turn turn..tell us the lesson that we should learn. (LOVE animaniacs :) )
It might be high time you baked up a bunch of good for you sweets and share with everyone, so that WOD loses it's money. That's right, stick it to WOD!

Once Upon A Dieter said...

Is that a tiny golden halo I see about thy head? :)
Congrats on telling the Cake to stuff it.

But man, did you have to make it sound so delectable. I started having custard pangs here.

(Lauren's right. YOu are a terrific writer.)

Mir

***CCC*** said...

Ya know, I don't even really know about the British goodies you were describing, but you described them so WELL, I couldn't help but want some myself :)

Good for you on passing up the naughty stuff to go for the good. Well done, well done!

Shauna said...

whoa, that was a victory! well done :)
i can't believe they put PUDDINGS in MACHINES at work! that's almost as cruel as the times they'd send children down coalmines!

Grumpy Chair said...

You, my friend, are my new hero.