CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 31, 2007

In which the author does not repent

I am continuing my torrid affair with Japanese food.


This first one is me eating okanomiyaki. It's a kind of pancake thing where you order what you want in it (in this case pork and cabbage) and you get a bowl with the ingredients and batter mix in. You then cook it on the hot table in front of you. It's extremely good!


It never fails to impress me how beautifully the traditional food is presented here. You just look at it and think 'wow'. I'll try and go through what I remember. Going from the near right the white bowl was a dip, the red/black covered bowl is miso soup, a bowl of rice with dried fish seasoning, the whitish blue bowl with tiny wooden spoon is a smokey flavoured egg mixture (weird, but really nice), the blue bowl next to it a seaweed salad and next to that a glass of tea. The box behind had the main goodies. The bottom left compartment holds shrimp and vegetable tempura, the bowl was a kind of tofu in sauce I think? The top right (which sadly isn't very visible due to my crappy photo skillz) were pieces of really fresh raw fish with dipping sauce (I only recognised the tuna) and the top left had a cherry tomato, mushrooms and a little bit of octopus.

It was awesome.

Forget teaching, I'm just going to eat my way through Japan.

5 comments:

Once Upon A Dieter said...

Oh, man. That pork and cabbage thingie has my mouth salivating. It looks yummy. Almost omelette-y.

It's nice to see a pic of you. Hair looks great. Enjoying the teaching? How's your living quarters?

Mir

Christie said...

You are so cute. I think this is the first time I've seen a picture of you. You are so pretty!!!

Zanitta said...

Awww *blushes* thank you, though I think it might be the forgiving nature of the reduced pixel count, when you click on it and see the bigger one? yeah, not so much.

Christine said...

That sounds just awesome. Great to hear you are having a good time.

Once Upon A Dieter said...

Don't listen to her. This is the second pic (or third) I've seen of her. She IS cute with a terrific smile. And am digging the hair swept to the side.

The Princess (aka Mir)