CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 24, 2007

Such a beautiful disaster

I didn't occur to me until after I'd eaten 2 (well, OK, 3) snack-size milky way bars and 6 gourmet cheese and onion pringles that perhaps the trip to Ise foreign food store wasn't the smartest move I made today. Yeah, I'm a little slow on the uptake, and my brain was fogged with images of all the good stuff I was going to eat before I 'started again' tomorrow. My God I bought a lot of junk. Luckily I stubbed my toe on the scale as I walked past with the shopping bags and it let out an angry beep to let me know it was awake, bringing me back to my right mind.

The 2 (2! One white, one milk chocolate) toblerone bars have gone into the freezer, along with the rest of the bag of the milky ways. If I want them I will have the time it takes to defrost them to consider. The pringles have been hidden behind the top shelf cans in my kitchen. I shouldn't even buy pringles, when I eat too many they give me heartburn, and the salt will have me swelling Violet Beauregarde style.

I considered just throwing the whole lot out. But then I thought, what would that actually teach me? Usually I have to have a completely clear environment, no snack anywhere because I just can't resist. The problem is, how does that teach me control? It doesn't, it just removed my ability to indulge. This is no small thing, sometimes that's exactly what I need, but eventually I have to learn to be around these foods without losing my mind. To know that they're always going to be available so not to freak out, else every time I step outside my door I'll go into complete free-fall. I can't always control my environment but I can try and control myself despite it.

It may not work, but as long as I stay in the mentality of 'I can only stop when it's not there to start' isn't really going to let me progress.

It's not all doom and gloom, I bought some healthy stuff too. I bought some Weetabix (breakfast of champions!), and I finally found some red beans! I'm not sure if they're red kidney beans as the label is in Spanish, and they're dried so I have to soak them overnight, but I can start making chili and other vegetable dishes. I also found some light coconut milk to use in my Indian curries, and some make at home naan bread mix.

Nice.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm going to the foreign food mart tomorrow.

Amy said...

i think it's better for me to have something around, chocolate or whatever, to know it's there if i really want it. the freezer is a good idea too because you'll know it's there and you'll have to plan like "i do feel like i want a some candy, let me defrost one tiny bar and see how that goes".