CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 11, 2007

A day in pictures

I have been meaning to clean out my junk/spare room and figure out something to do with it for a while. It just seemed like such a waste of space in a small apartment you know?

It was a daunting prospect; my predecessor had used it for storing suitcases/boxes and drying laundry, just as I have been since I got here. I got restless Friday night and decided to actually do something about it instead of just picturing it.

Before:


This is actually the picture my pred sent me before I got here, but trust me when I say that their isn't much difference between that and what I started with. I just swapped his junk for mine.

So I cleared everything out. Wow there was a lot of crap stuffed in that small space. Then I took the sofa out of my TV room and put it in there, I never use it anyway (I'm always in the chair at my computer table) and it was too heavy for the tatami flooring so it was leaving marks, along with the bookshelf out of my bedroom.

After:



I also set up my kotatsu in my (now empty) TV room! A kotatsu is a type of low table with a heater attached to the underside, and a blanket to keep the heat in. In cold weather you sit in it (and try not to fall asleep!). This is extremely useful as Japanese apartments seem to be make of paper and wood, which means there is no insulation.

The Kotatsu:


In continuing with the picture theme today, here is a clue as to how my eating has been since Thursday:

9 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

You've been a busy girl! I'm always amazed how good it feels to have accomplished something like that -- and even more amazed that it isn't incentive enough to do it more often!!! The room looks wonderful. The diet? Well, ummmm, yeah. I can identify all too well.

Jan B said...

I love how beautiful your room turned out! I have such a mess in my computer room because I do my workout there, I do my painting and all the computer junk is in there. Thankfully there is a door!

Lauren said...

I'm so glad they don't have those here, I'd eat them all, no seriously, all in the store. Also, your apt looks great.

Princess Dieter said...

So, that kotatsu--you sit IN it, like under the blanket, like a tent thingie?

I think the difference in that room you decluttered is like night and day. It's actually very restful/peaceful afterwards.

You must have burned off a few calories with all that.

I'm just starting to walk without pain now after moving my junk out of the dining/kitchen for the new flooring. IT's amazing how much CRAP and STUFF one can accumulate. I want to declutter my whole place, but I think I need a hazmat team and a year to do that.

The Princess

Me said...

no, it's not like a tent. You sit on the floor next to it with your lower body under the table so that you can use the tabletop, but the blanket keeps the heat in so you're all warm and toasty.

Grumpy Chair said...

Girl, don't even get me started on the pringles. At least you were smart enough to eat the gourmet ones.

Your after picture looks so cozy and chic. You made a very nice sitting/reading area.

Tully said...

Ha Hah, those are the sae pringles I lived off when I was in Japan!

I hope your scales are starting to behave a little better. I might need to get you to have a stern word to my scales if they don't sort themselves out this week... :-)

Amy said...

Gourmet pringles, oxymoron?

Me said...

It just means fancier flavoursm like shrimp and roasted garlic, sea salt and cracked plack pepper, and my nemesis from the photo there...